365 Days of Earrings

Monday, September 12, 2011

Domino earrings, 1+2=3

I've known since started this project on 1/1/11 that I could wear these earrings today, for my 3rd day of school.

All morning, children eyed my ears, saying things like,
  • "I like your earrings."
  • "Why are you wearing dominoes on your ears?"
  • "Why do you have two different dominoes?"
I inevitably asked them to guess why I wore these earrings today.

"3 is your favorite number?" (That's true, it is. I was born on the 3rd of July; I have 3 children; and I teach 3rd grade.)
"We got one dollar on the first day of school, two dollars on the second day, and three dollars today. Just like your earrings. One plus two plus three. That's six dollars, just like the six dots on your earrings." (Wow. That's true, too.)
"Both sides make 3, and it's the 3rd day of school." (Short and sweet. And true.)

I haven't told this class about my earring blog, and how I'm wearing a different pair of earrings each day for a whole year. But I think that discussion is coming soon. They're hooked on my earrings already.

1 comment:

Käthe said...

such a great teaching tool! you're a master.