365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Bison Trifecta

Today, on my 5th day of school, we read about bison and took notes as part of our research about the people who once roamed the Great Plains. In the midst of Social Studies, my student Rose looked up at my earrings and whispered, "Oh my gosh! Your earrings are bison and they're nickels! Math, Social Studies, and writing, all in one pair of earrings!"

She's right. This pair is sort of a trifecta for me. Nickels for math on the 5th day of school. Bison for research about the Plains Indians. And we're researching about animals in preparation for writing about them.

I bought this pair at the Delaplane Strawberry Festival from the artisan who carved the metal away with his jigsaw. I love them. Buffalo nickels were only minted from 1913 to 1938. I can remember spending them as a child, although most of my nickels wore the face of Thomas Jefferson. Buffalo nickels are a real connection to America's past, honoring a traditional lifestyle that is lost. I treasure these earrings.



No comments: