365 Days of Earrings

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ride the Earth

Early this summer, my daughter Phoebe came home with this t-shirt: an early birthday gift she knew I would love. Seven bikes dangle across the front of the shirt, an Earth on every wheel. Ride the Earth.

Phoebe stayed home, working and tending our 2 dogs and 2 cats, and her sister's dog, too, while her dad and I spent 2 weeks in France and her sister explored Alaska for 10 days.

How blessed I am to have a daughter like my Feeb. She made it possible for me to Ride the Earth. Now I've headed off again, to our summer cabin, where I'll ride my bike each day and paddle my kayak and wade along the shore.

I made these earrings earlier this summer, and I thought they suited this one-more-day-of-traveling, when the wheels of my little blue car kept rolling, bringing me back home to the part of the Earth that I love to ride the most. The place where my children learned to ride bikes, and where we've ridden together each of the past 24 summers.

I wish that all of my children were here with me. But I am so proud of the independent people they have become, people who seek their own paths as they ride the Earth.

No comments: