365 Days of Earrings

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Popsicle Summer

The 2010-2011 school year ended for me today. I wore my popsicle earrings for our final half day, and for the class party at a roller rink. To me, popsicles say summer. 

The thermometer climbed to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, in the shade. I took my popsicle earrings out on our deck to photograph them with our thermometer. As soon as I moved if off the window and into the sun, the temperature began to rise toward 100. I was really wishing for a popsicle on this the hottest day of the year so far.

 
My daughter Phoebe bought me this pair of earrings at the Delaplane Strawberry Festival a few years ago. I've worn them on the last day of school ever since. They attract a lot of smiles. And comments about something red dripping onto my neck. But if they were to melt, I could replace them. Sculpey, a toothpick, and wire are all I'd need to make a replacement pair.

I felt a bit like this dog today, stuck in the heat with no popsicle within reach on this very hot last day. But I am blessed to work in an air-conditioned school, drive an air-conditioned car, and have an air-conditioned bedroom to come home to.

I think back to my childhood, when we had no air-conditioning at all. Maybe that's why popsicles say summer to me.

2 comments:

Käthe said...

Such a well-crafted post! Popsicles say summer to me, too. Perhaps that's because I grew up with you :)

M. Kasch said...

welcome to summer vacation! You deserve a break! It's inspiring and fun to see you as a teacher through this blog. . . something I don't usually get to see!