365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 243: Two Thirds of a Year Down, One Third to Go

I looked at this pair of earrings this morning and thought, "Hmm. Didn't I already wear those this year?" I'm trying to separate the earrings I've worn from those I have yet to wear, but sometimes I slip up.

I googled arkadangling + dragonflies and found another, very similar pair that I'd worn on March 31, the 90th day of 2011. My Year of the Insect, I called that post. I'm gearing up to teach a reading and writing project in which my 3rd graders explore the animal of their choice in depth. I'll share my research about dragonflies, and some of what I've written about them.

On March 31, my house was under siege by another insect, the brown marmorated stinkbug. In June, they headed back outside to feed and breed.  The house has been stinkbug free for a couple of months. But now, they're back. They're snacking on the lilac bushes just outside our door. They're big and fat and juicy. And they're ready to find a place to over-winter. I have cups of soapy water waiting in every room, ready to drown these invaders. I even wander around outside, encouraging them to drop off leaves into soapy water. I live with a sense of dread of the 100's, 1000's, 10,000's... Could they be even more plentiful this year than last? I shudder.

Today marks 5 months (153 days) since my last dragonfly/stinkbug post.

But it's also Day 243 of my blog: two-thirds of a year have passed since January 1, 2011 when I wrote the first of my 365 Days of Earrings. Only one-third of a year to go: 122 more days. I can handle that!


But how many more stinkbugs? I've captured 16 since I started writing. 

One day at a time.

No comments: