365 Days of Earrings

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Memories in the Making

My daughters and I were in production mode this morning, making signs for Phoebe to take to college. She'll hang each one on the door of one of her freshman orientation advisees. Last year at this time, Phoebe was anticipating freshman orientation; this year, she will be an advisor.

Our living room has been the site of many such projects over the years: holiday cards, teaching projects, gifts, and, well, ideas we wanted to explore just to say we had.

The earrings I wore today were made right there one winter break about 10 years ago. When asked what I wanted for Christmas, I replied, "Earrings." So I was banned from the room, and my 3 kids made me earrings. This pair of elephants is one that Kathe made using Shrinky Dinks and seeds. I've always loved them.

Ten years ago, it was an ordinary event, making projects on the braided rug in the living room, helping each other problem solve and chatting about life along the way. Now each such moment is a treasure to dangle somewhere in the folds of my memory.

1 comment:

Käthe said...

Nice post, Mom! That place has been the location for many artistic activities :)