365 Days of Earrings

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Like a Seed in a Cage

Seeds in cages. That's what I saw when I spotted these earrings this morning. My daughter Kathe made them for me years ago. We'd seen beads wrapped up like this, and she'd wondered how it was done. So she figured out how.

Seeds in cages. That's what I think of when I look at the people who live in places like Gaddhafi's Libya. No chance for growth. Not even access to basic human freedoms, like choosing where to live. Living in poverty while their country's wealth flows into the coffers of a few.

Seeds in cages. That's what I think of when I hear stories about American knowledge of geography, history, and science. How can we expose American minds to the wonders that surround them? Set them free to learn about polar ice caps and Persia and evolution? Prevent more Americans from slipping into poverty while their country's wealth flows into the coffers of a few?

Seeds in cages. Waiting for fertile soil, soaking rains, and the sun's light to warm and enable them to feed themselves and grow...

1 comment:

Ardyce said...

Being able to see the potential in seeds and children's minds; using your gifts to motivate learning using the many senses. You are a gift to all.