365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This morning I went downstairs, started a fire in the woodstove, poured my coffee, and sat down to enjoy my two hour delay, still smiling about yesterday's Hoping for Snow earrings. I glanced out the window, and there on the railing, on the birdfeeder, and on the snowy deck, perched six puffed-up cardinals enjoying their breakfast of sunflower seeds. I noticed the three males first, their red feathers so striking against the snow. And then I saw the females, whose colors blended in with the redwood stain on the deck.


I guess that today the birds chose my earrings: pewter cardinals, given to me one Valentine's Day by my husband John. Perfect to wear with another of my favorite winter sweaters on this chilly morning as I waited for the fire to warm me in my chair.

No comments: