365 Days of Earrings

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A True Posting


Only rarely do I wear posts rather than dangling earrings. But after seeing ammonites at the Museum of Natural History yesterday,  this morning I sought out this pair that I bought at a National Science Teachers Association convention in Boston 10 or 15 years ago. (How I used to laugh at my dad when he made estimates like that, when 10 years was my age, and 15 years was half again as much!) After a childhood spent avoiding my dad's enthusiasm for rocks, minerals,and fossils, I have come to love exploring geology. These stone spirals were once homes to squidlike animals-- hundreds of millions of years ago!

Why dangle rather than post? My ear lobes were prone to infection, which posts seemed to breed. My family doctor once told me in no uncertain terms that I should let those barbaric holes close up if I wanted to be free of infection. Instead, I stopped wearing posts.

My ammonites are resting on another ancient relic: a sweater I knit of Icelandic wool some 30 years ago. I pull it out of the cedar chest to wear every year on a chilly winter day. As I aimed the camera, Maia kept nudging my arm aside. When she finally lay down, I snapped this photo.

No comments: