365 Days of Earrings

Monday, December 12, 2011

Marvels of Survival

This tiny pair of birds is one that I bought in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia last August as we drove home last summer. We spotted a craft fair, parked our car, walked to the park, and the skies opened, dumping so much water onto the crafters tents that they threatened to collapse. I spent 15 minutes in a tent offering earrings at $4.00 per pair, or 3 for $10. This pair was one of my 3.

This morning when I woke up, the temperature was well below freezing. As I headed off to school, I bundled up in layers, with mittens, a hat, a scarf.

Birds, I know, are well-insulated with fluffy down feathers inside their external plumage. But I never cease to marvel at the ability of tiny songbirds to survive in frigid temperatures.

I also marvel at the ability of crafters to survive when they sell earrings for $3.33 per pair. Materials, transportation, food and lodging.

How do they do it?

No comments: