365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sick Day Earrings

What I should have worn today were respiratory and nervous system earrings, since I spent the day at home suffering with a head cold. But this is the human body pair that I bought from Kevin Abott, the amazing artist of Jabebo. If I were feeling better, I'd have tried to get a better photo.

But I've spent today perched in bed, doing as little as possible. On the one hand, I'm trying not to spread my germs. On the other, I'm hoping that rest will keep me from getting even sicker.

I enjoyed reading this novel, written for children. Large print, archetypal characters, lovely images that stay with me as I nap between chapters. So many of the sick days of my childhood were spent reading and re-reading novels such as this. And sipping tea, nibbling snacks, snuggling into the covers.

And I watched a couple of movies--sort of watched them, anyway, because I decided I'd try to knit a pair of socks. I love Sharon Turner's book, Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting Design.

She makes it possible for a competent knitter to design and create almost any item of clothing. I tend to blunder into projects that are a little over my head, make several false starts, and then muddle on. Undertaking socks on a day when my brain is clouded with the fog of a cold led to some extra muddling, but I think I've got the sizing right for this sock, and figured out the shaping techniques. Onwards!

But now, I think, a little nap.

No comments: