365 Days of Earrings

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Powhatan yehakins--'Tis the Season

I had a long to-do list today. On my list was buying and cutting 1X12 boards to use this week in Social Studies. We're going to study the Powhatan Indians and build their dwellings.

Each of my students will build a miniature yehakin on a 12x12 inch board. In order to get their supplies, they will barter with me. Answer one research question for a board, one for the reed that simulates the saplings used to build the frame, etc. Last year's class wore the hats they'd made while they worked. My guess is that this year's class will, too.

Once I'd cut the 28 boards, I stacked them in my car. And moved on to cutting fabric to make some more fleece hats. On Thursday my class will sell hats and assorted other crafts that they've made at a Holiday Craft Bazaar on the night of their class play.

I'm sewing some extra hats this weekend, so that we'll have plenty to sell to support Room to Read, the organization our sale benefits. Our money will help publish books in the native tongues of children in developing countries. It will provide scholarships so that girls can attend secondary school, and eventually educate the next generation. Learn more at http://www.roomtoread.org/.


For today's projects I wore this pair of earrings that remind me of tiny Christmas ornaments, reflecting the glow of the joy of giving. 'Tis the season!



No comments: