365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Magical Birthday for Dr. Seuss


Today is the birthday of Dr. Seuss. So I knew that I wanted to wear this t-shirt.

In honor of Dr. Seuss, we celebrated Read Across America Day. My students have spent the past month thinking, writing, and drawing about their favorite characters, books, and book series in preparation for today's Academy Awards of Books. 
Everyone in our Lower School arrived dressed as a favorite book character today. I chose to be Joanna Cole's Ms. Frizzle. How I would love to drive a magic school bus on field trips to the center of the Earth, through the solar system, and deep under the sea. I wore this Shrinky Dink pin with my name tag.

But it was just part of an ensemble chosen to complement my t-shirt: orange (yarn) hair and a fish attached to my hat; shiny aqua tights; my blue water shoes; and the fishy apron I sewed over the weekend.

"I'm taking a field trip to the river in my magic school bus," I could say. "The fish are swimming today!"

And I wore these wooden fish earrings that I bought long ago in Savannah. They look a bit shocked, as if Ms. Frizzle had just appeared in the river with her magic school bus.

It was a great celebration of literature. I hope that my colleague Janie, who inspired us to add one more project to this busy time, is basking in the glow of a most successful day. Truly magical!

1 comment:

Käthe said...

Take me, Ms. Frizzle!