365 Days of Earrings

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tumbling

Weeks ago I hung this pair of earrings where I would be sure to see them this morning. Today was my students' gymnastics assembly.

When my children were small, this day was a huge deal. For Käthe's 3rd grade year we had a strip of duct tape on the carpet for practicing cartwheels. By the time she was in 7th grade, she was doing cartwheels on the balance beam. Willem excelled on the parallel bars. Phoebe had her patented strength moves on the balance beam. For six weeks in the middle of winter, gymnastics mattered.

One day when we were playing with beads, Käthe started making people. She made me this pair of earrings. I had fun sharing them today.

As I went to take this picture, I dropped the knitting needle and one of the earrings vanished. I searched for quite a while, crawling about with a flashlight until I was convinced that it had fallen between the floor boards to become a prized possession of The Borrowers. But then at last I saw a green bead sticking out from under the baseboard heater and retrieved it. Quite a tumbling run, for an earring.

I have lost earrings. Many earrings. But not today. Whew.

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

LOVE the Borrowers reference!! (and my patented balance beam moves of course!)