365 Days of Earrings

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Frame of Fronds?

As my husband headed off to church this morning to "be Jesus" in the Palm Sunday service, I chose these earrings. This year, Easter and Passover fall in the same week, as they did the year that Jesus died.

I'm not sure why these earrings seem so appropriate to me. Although they don't represent any of the symbols I think of during these holidays-- palm fronds, a joyful parade, unleavened loaves, marked doorways, the parting of the Red Sea-- I felt they suited the day.

This is the third pair that my sister-in-law gave me a few years ago, having bought them to support a craftswoman she knew. At Easter and Passover, I always think of the sorrows and joys of motherhood. Teardrops blocking the doorway. Perhaps that's what I saw.

No comments: