365 Days of Earrings

Thursday, November 24, 2011

National Sardine Day

I received these sardine earrings in the mail a few months ago, in the amazing package that my cousin David's wife Jeanne sent me. I could see immediately that they would become favorites of mine, as they were of Jeanne's.

Why wear them today, Thanksgiving Day? Because I decided as soon as I saw them that I'd wear this pair on National Sardine Day, which I soon discovered to be November 24th. (Every day of the year is designated to celebrate a cause or a product or a person. Just check out http://365foods.wordpress.com/ or http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays 
So much to celebrate!

I didn't eat any sardines today, just our standard turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, sweet potatoes and apples, cornbread, and stuffed mushrooms. But my sardines dangled from my ears, proudly celebrating this day and these clever ceramic earrings.

Reading Jeanne's note reminded me of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row, probably the first adult novel I ever read. I think I was 10 when I read The Red Pony and loved it. I went to the public library and found another slim volume by the same author, and soon found myself in the society of hard-living men on San Francisco's Cannery Row. I read in startled amazement, discovering a world I'd never glimpsed.


We gathered outside this afternoon, after dinner, for some family photos. This one reminds me a bit of those fellows on Cannery Row. My daughter Phoebe (center) received her beard hat as a gift from a crafty friend. Beards were sported by all!


Happy
Thanksgiving
to
all!

No comments: