365 Days of Earrings

Friday, November 18, 2011

Warm, soothing mugs

I've owned this pair of shrinky-dink earrings for about 20 years. They were a gift from my ex-sister-in-law, Ann. I wear them on days when I have trouble getting up and heading off into the cold. Days when I feel a bit cranky, and hope that the caffeine in cups dangling from my ears might somehow give me the pep to get me through the day.

Most years, I wear these earrings many times. My students say, "Uh-oh, she's wearing those cranky day earrings." This year, today was my one day to wear them. The first night that Rosie came indoors to sleep in her crate, cold and windy, a warm cuppa something kind of day.

Early this morning, I brewed my strong coffee, drinking from my favorite coffee mug--celebrating NPR's All Things Considered--as I enjoyed my oatmeal laced with walnuts, dried cherries, raisins, maple syrup, and milk. My daily breakfast, my daily mug of coffee.

As soon as I got home, I started a fire in the woodstove and brewed a cup of tea to drink from my favorite tea mug, a mug I've owned for close to 30 years.

And then, later, some mulled red wine in my favorite wine mug, green glass that we purchased at a Celtic Festival some 15 years ago.

Some days are like that. Warm mugs of soothing beverages help me make it through.

No comments: