365 Days of Earrings

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chairs for Sitting

Today I sat in a chair all day long, talking about my students with their parents and our head of school: 45 minutes per child X 27 students = 20.25 hours of sitting in chairs. This was day one of two full days and two half days.

This has got to be the best pair of earrings ever made for a day of sitting in chairs.

My ex-sister-in-law bought these for me at Atlanta's High Museum gift shop some 20 years ago. A few years ago, while my brother and his wife were going through hard times, one of the seats fell off. I put the earrings and the seat away "in a safe place" and didn't see them for a long time. I discovered them again last summer and glued the seat to the chair. Time has passed, and I can wear them with joy again.

Tomorrow I will discuss another 9 students with their parents. Another year, I might don my chair earrings again. Not this year. 365 days, 365 pair.

"Can't you wear the same pair again, if you want?" someone asked.

"No!" I replied. "That would be against the rules."

"Who makes the rules?"

"I do."

No comments: