365 Days of Earrings

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ticking Time Bombs

When I bought these beads, I thought blue, ocean, mother earth. When I made the earrings, I thought simple, natural, Earth spinning on its axis.

I got dressed this morning in my default color scheme: blue shirt, green pants.

My stress level was high. I did not sleep well, worried about an unresolved problem with a student and his mother; worried about finishing my many projects before the end of the school year; worried about the 68 narrative reports I need to write over the next week; worried.

At 6 AM, in the pre-dawn light, when I stood in front of my earring ladies, this pair caught me eye: Time bombs. That's how I was feeling: as if ticking time bombs might explode any time.

Fortunately, the bombs were duds. The mom actually thanked me for handling a difficult situation well. We had a productive day in 3rd Grade.

In the full light of day, my earrings were clearly blue spheres, like our planet Earth, spinning through space. I look forward to a good night's sleep.

No comments: