365 Days of Earrings

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry Season

I have owned a pair of strawberry earrings for 6 or 7 years. My daughter Kathe made them for me to wear to a local tradition: the Delaplane Strawberry Festival, hosted every Memorial Day weekend by Delaplane, VA's tiny Episcopal Church. I plan to wear them to the festival again this year, on May 28th.

Tonight my husband and I planned to attend the dinner for the festival's sponsors. So this morning I headed for a bead shop, hoping for strawberry beads to use in making another pair. Mission accomplished!

This festival is a remarkable accomplishment for the families of this tiny church. They work hard all year, volunteering their time and energy to raise funds to support charitable causes in the local community. The thousands of dollars they raise help homeless families, hospice patients, neglected animals... 

Tonight I wore my new strawberry earrings. We ate strawberry shortcake. It's strawberry season. For the people of the Delaplane Episcopal Church, this is the season of giving.  

1 comment:

Käthe said...

I cannot wait for the festival! Thanks for giving me the first taste!