365 Days of Earrings

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ooh La La... Paris!

Back in December I dropped by my school's tiny silent auction and placed the minimum bid for these Eiffel Tower earrings.

Tonight I will wear them to the big event for which our gym has been transformed to glow like the streets of Paris. The entrances are street markets with flowers, wine, and bread. At the center stands the base of the Eiffel Tower, reaching as high as the eye can see--well, there is a ceiling, which limits how high the eye can see, but the effect is stunning.

Tonight I'll work behind the big board, ooh-la-la-ing as the bids soar for riding lessons with Olympic Gold Medal winners; a designer chicken coop and heritage chickens; a flight in a civilian Marine Corps Fighter.

Then a quick dinner, and I'm off to run my Live Auction PowerPoint and record the bids for trips to the US Opens (Golf or Tennis, anyone?) to the Caribbean (Abaco, Anguilla, or Nevis?), to Molokai, Tuscany, Gascony, or the Kalahari.

By the time I drive my trusty Subaru back up the windy drive to our mountain chalet, I'll be ready to crawl into bed. Nothing makes me happier than doing a good day's work. This auction provides me with many opportunities--faculty development (including my trip to New York for the Reading and Writing Project Reunion), classroom equipment like our new SMART boards and our Elmo projector, and special programs all over our campus.

And this summer, John and I will take a dream vacation to Paris for a bike and barge adventure. We'll stay for a few days in the same apartment that someone will bid on in the Live Auction tonight. In about two months, I'll stand at the base of the Eiffel Tower. I'm smiling.

Et maintenant, ma robe noire...

No comments: