365 Days of Earrings

Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Flowers


Bling and I are strangers. Once upon a time, when I was two or three, it's possible that I liked to dress up and wear make-up. But since I have no such recollection, I think I can honestly say that I've never liked glam.

Among the many earrings I've been given, some bling with glam. If invited to the right occasion, I might wear them, I think. This pair is blue, given to me because I love blue. But since showing them off when I got them as a birthday present, I've never worn them out of the house, and I doubt I ever will.

Today is May Day, when many cultures celebrate the arrival of spring with festivals of flowers. I'm celebrating at home, on another rainy day. This pot of blue blossoms adorns my front deck, reminding me of their wild cousins that will be in bloom when I launch my kayak in the Clarion River to celebrate the beginning of summer.

A few years ago, I paddled near the bank and saw these delicate blue flowers. "I know I've looked those up before," I muttered to myself. "What on Earth are they called?"

When I got back to our cabin and looked in my wildflower guide, I shook my head in amusement. "Forget-Me-Nots. I guess now I'll never forget."

And now I'll always associate this pair of bling-glam earrings with one of my favorite wildflowers. Odd bedfellows spotted in this flower pot today!

No comments: