365 Days of Earrings

Friday, May 20, 2011

I'll Fly Away

Birds in flight. Bluebirds? Another thrush? Tree swallows? I dunno. I just know that I've loved these earrings since I first saw them at Savannah's Oatland Island Sugar Cane Festival in 1989. They are among my favorites.

As I put them on this morning, I found myself humming this gospel song that I first heard sung by SCORE, my husband's children's music ensemble:


One bright morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

Chorus
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Chorus

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

I hummed it to myself several times today, as my students painted cardboard boxes to make forges and hearths and glassblower's kilns for our Living Wax Museum. With less than 3 weeks of school to go--just a few more weary days--I'm looking forward to spending some time at my summer cabin--a land where joy shall never end.

Much as I love my work, and I am truly looking forward to many events over the next few weeks, I know that one bright morning soon,  I'll fly away!

1 comment:

Käthe said...

Love these earrings, the song, and the post! I hope they sing this next weekend :)